Friday, February 20, 2009

My First Attempt Bread☻

Tadaa...! Look at my babies, it's the baby buns actually ~ hehe☻

Bread 1

All the while, it never crossed my mind to baking a bread. I have no knowledge about bread making at all. But I love to eat them so do my kids and end up spending money to buy the bread from the bakery. I want to thank my friend Constance for sharing her bread recipe with me in her BLOG☻which really inspired me to take the first step in bread making. Her step by step explanation make me easier to understand the whole process of bread making☻

Her recipe which using the whipping cream instead of bread improver turn out quite satisfy result for a bread baker newbie like me, the bun is soft like it should be. I just need to practise how to put the filling inside the bun and roll it into ball. I make few buns with sausage filling and some buns with cinnamon sugar filling. All together how many buns?? What a silly me, I didn't count them. Maybe I was paying too much attention on the buns and I forget to count them before they are all finished up by my kids☻(I knead 400gm bread flour-that's a lot!!!)

I don't have a stand mixer, so I did everything by hands. I rolled the dough until the butter was incorporated into the dough. It takes me about 2 hours or more. And then I put the dough in a plastic container and cover it with the cling wrap before proofing for 2 1/2 hours and went to fetch my kids from school.

Venturing into making bread and buns is not too bad, indeed I have grown to love it☻ I will experience with more recipe later when I find time again. Check it out!

Here is the bread recipe from Constance's Blog - Fad About Food

200g bread flour
30g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5g instant yeast

100g whipping cream
40g fresh milk
1 egg yolk

20g soft butter


Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 tbsp Brown Sugar

Extra butter sliced in thickness of 3mm (optional)

Method :
Sieve flour, sugar, salt and yeast in large mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix whipping cream, milk and yolk.
Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the cream solution.
With a whisk, mix it up until it becomes a dough.
Once it becomes a lumpy grainy dough, you can start using your hands to knead it.
Knead until the dough is smooth and not grainy nor rough. It should feel smooth in your hands.
It takes about 15 minutes or longer, depending how you knead it.
When the dough is satin smooth, add in the butter.
Knead it well to let the butter incorporate fully into the dough.
It may feel a little wet at first and may stick to your hands.
Knead until it is non sticky. Kneading this time should take about 30 mins the least.
Stretch a little of the dough, it should not tear off easily and it feels like stretching a thin layer and looks translucent against the light.
If it tears off and looks jaggery, it means you have not kneaded enough.
Once the texture is reached, form it into a ball, leave it in a large stainless steel bowl that has been well oiled and cover with cling film. No droughts.
Put it in a warm place and proof for about an hour or a little more. It should double or triple in size.
Remove the dough, punch down to deflate gas inside.
Divide it into 2 balls. Let it rest for a further 15 minutes in the bowl, covered.
Roll each dough out into a rectangle piece, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar in the center part.
Place extra butter slices about 2cm apart in a row.
Roll it up like a swiss roll and fold down the two ends below.
Let it sit in your loaf pan and cover with cling wrap.
Rest it for another 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat your oven to 180 deg C.

Bake it for about 20 minutes.

Note:
The above recipes is for making 2 loaves of cinnamon bread. You can make the mini sausage bun by just roll the dough with the mini sausage in it, glaze the bun with beaten eggs and sprinkle some sesame seed on it. HAPPY BAKING!

2 comments:

jepunlauee said...

all so yummy...maybe I now already gain 2 kilos just by looking at these photo and imaging eating all these goodies..hehehe..

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Ya , Amy , I totally agree with you.Those pastries and bread sold outside are so expensive , it is always good if you can bake them yourself at home especially if your family are bread lover like my family. But I'm a total dumb dumb at baking , my bakes often ended up disaster :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin