Monday, April 6, 2009

Swirl Skin Curry Puff

Swirl Skin Curry Puff1

One of my favourite snack are curry puff. It was my favourite since my schooling days and I'll eat it almost everyday, without getting bored. I just love the crispy pastry with the curry potato fillings. All the while I'll just bought 2 or 3 pieces from the stall selling kuih when I'm craving for them. I wanted to learn making curry puff long time ago but I couldn't find a good recipe for it. I want to thank my friend Wendy for sharing her wonderful recipe of swirl skin curry puff with me. Wendy, the curry puffs are yummy!! ~☻

Photobucket

Recipe from The Adventures Of Giggles :

Puff's Fillings Recipe:
150 g chicken breast - diced, marinate with some salt and curry powder
200 g potato - diced
20 g carrot - chopped
30 g tomato - diced
250 g shallots - minced
1 stalk lemon grass - crushed
5~6 piece curry leaves
2 tbsp spoon curry powder - mix with some water
sugar and salt to taste
some water
2~3tbsp thick coconut milk

Dough Recipe:

Water Dough:
350 g all purpose flour/plain flour
40 g margarine
180 ml hot water
1/3 tsp salt

Oil Dough:
120 g all purpose flour/plain flour
60 g margarine

Method:

Puff's Filling:

Heat the wok/pan with some oil, stir in the minced shallot and cook until it's fragrant.
Add in lemon grass, curry leaves and curry powder, stir for about 2 minutes.
Add in potato dices, carrot and tomato, stir and cook for another 5 minutes or until potato sightly tender.
Slowly add some water for better cooking.
Add the chicken and cook until they are done
Sugar and salt to taste.
Stir in coconut milk and cook for another minute or two.
Remove from heat and set aside.

Prepare the dough:

Water dough:
Melt the margarine, salt in the hot water.
Make a well in the middle of flour and pour in the margarine salt water
Mix well and knead to form a smooth dough. Let it rest for 15 minutes. If it is too dry to handle, rub your hands with some water to work on it.
Divide the dough to 8 portion.

Oil dough:
Rub margarine into flour until they mixed well, divide to 8 portion.

Wrapping the puffs:(for 2" diameter curry puff mold)

Wrap the oil dough with water dough.
Flatten it to a 4" X 6" piece sheet using the rolling pin.
Roll it up lengthwise like making swiss roll
Repeat the step #2 and # 3.
Cut the roll into 6 piece portions.
With the cutting edge facing down on your work surface, roll it to a "2.5~3" circle skin.
Place the skin on the mold, fill up with the curry filling, fold the mold and trim the extra skin.
Remember to keep the sealing edge clean and oil free, or your curry puff will "pecah"/breaks when we fry it.
Fry the curry puffs until it's golden brown.

Try it!! Happy Cooking ~☻

6 comments:

温馨小屋 said...

好想咬一口哦!那一定很香脆吧!

Wendy said...

tin tin...i'm so happy it turned out great for you!!! i could imagine the crispy skin when I see it so "swirl"....LOL!!!

Dragon said...

These are absolutely stunning! wow.

Pat Tanumihardja said...

These swirly curry puffs are gorgeous!

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Me and my kids love curry puffs especially A1 curry puffs. Will try your recipe soon , yours looks so inviting and so professional and so yummy that I want to grab one right out from my screen... LOL... thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.

superbadkitty said...

Best curry puffs I have seen! And dare I say, they look better than the original (sorry to Wendy!). I love all your recipes - just awesome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin