Thursday, August 5, 2010

Stir -Fried Fish in Bean Paste with Ginger & Green Onions ( 炒鱼-Char Hu )

This dish are quite famous among the restaurants in Alor Star. It is one of the famous signature dishes for some restaurant here. We called it in Hokkien dialect "Char Hu" here. This dishes are very easy to prepare and it's very yummy. The one they sold in the restaurant are much more darker as they use a lot of thick dark soy-sauce. I reduce the use of thick soy-sauce because I want my "Char Hu" to appear nicer in the pictures for my blog :D

Photobucket

A must try... simple & easy recipe!!

Char Hu2

We can use any kind of fish for this dishes. The best I have tasted so far is the baby shark meat. Shark meat are smooth and it taste real good with we stir-fried it this way. Beside that we can use fillet of bigger size fish. Ok, let me share with all of you the ingredients for this dish.


Ingredients :

Fish meat/fillet - (Sorry, I forget to weight my fish before cooking it..)
Ginger (sliced into thin stripes - if u like ginger, put more)
Green Onion (cut it into 1 inch, I use a lot of green onion for this dish)
Bean Paste (please omit the salt if the bean paste taste salty)
Thick Soy Sauce
Sugar (optional) - I didn't use sugar for most of my dishes. My mom diabetic & couldn't take too much sweet food.
Sesame Oil
Cooking Oil

Method :
  • Clean & cut the fish into 1cm thick. Fry it with oil until it's cooked but not crispy. Set aside.
  • Heat the wok with some sesame oil + sunflower oil (Approx. 3tbsp - enough for stir-frying)
  • When the wok is hot, add in the ginger stripes. Stir-fry until it's golden color and add in the bean paste before continue to stir-fry it until it's fragrant (add in enough bean paste for the amount of fish u cook, too much of bean paste will make the dish taste salty - becareful not to add too much of it)
  • Slowly and carefully add in the cooked fish. Stir the fish to mix with the bean paste slowly and at this time add in the appropriate amount of the thick soy-sauce. Continue to stir-fry it, do it carefully and don't break the fish into pieces.
  • Pour in some warm water then cover the work and let it simmer for a while. Let the fish asorb the sauce (if u prefer to have more sauce, add in slightly a little more water to get more sauce)
  • Lastly, sprinkle in the green onions. Stir to mix it well with the fish.
  • Serve warm with steamed rice.
P/S: If you love it spicy. Add in some chili chunks at the time we add the green onions.


HAPPY COOKING!!


AMY ONG

3 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

oh, so yummy, i very often cook Char Hu too, must post it up one day, Thanks for remind me.

homeladychef said...

Hi Amy,

I enjoy this dish every time! With lots of fried ginger and lot of green onion. yum yum! It's a dish that reminds me of my mum's cooking back in Malaysia. Thanks for sharing!

TINTIN said...

Thanks Camelia & Sonia for drop by my blog..

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin