Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cottony Soft Honey Cups

Honey Cup1

In my younger days, my grandma used to buy this type of cake for me. We call it "Keh Nooi Ko" in hokkien, it's a simple cake, cottony soft and light. Not too oily and not too sweet. I'm so happy when I see something similar in Fad About Food, I want to thank Constance for sharing the recipe of this unique cake in her blog. Although this is not the exact "Keh Nooi Ko" but I just love the aroma of eggs in this cake. It reminds me of my childhood days, the time when I was running bare foot, playing glass marbles, playing the jumping strings made from rubber bands with a group of friends. This cake are best to eat along with a cup of hot chocolate or coffee. Yumm...! ☻

Honey Cups2


*Source of recipes from Fad About Food

Ingredients:

5 large egg yolks
25 g castor sugar
60 g butter (melted)
60 ml warm milk
1 tsp vanilla essense
pinch of salt

90 g cake flour
20 g corn flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

5 large egg whites
40 g castor sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice


Method:

Sieve cake flour, corn flour and baking powder together and set a side.
In a bowl over a basin of hot water, whisk egg yolks and sugar till thick.
Add in melted butter, warm milk, salt, vanilla and continue to whisk till all are mixed well.
Fold in the sieved flour.

In another bowl, beat the egg whites till it is fluffy and soft peaks. Add sugar, lemon juice and continue beating till it reaches stiff peaks.
Fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk and flour mixture, taking care not to deflate the egg whites too much.

Spoon batter into the lined paper cups and baked in preheat oven at 160c for 20 mins till it's light golden brown at the top and tooth pick inserted comes out clean.

Note: Makes 10-12 cups. I make this recipe twice a day, my kids love it so much! ☻

7 comments:

Yih Yann said...

I like this kind of cake...muz make the cake according to your recipe next time...

FAD MOM said...

You've got it! Yours look delicious too! And i was thinking why my cups cake patterns don't print right at the top while yours does!

One recipe doesn't make a lot but can make two batch each time.

Tastes of Home said...

these look great! I especially love food that reminds us of the blissful childhood days!

BitterSweet said...

Oh wow, those look so good- And the crumb does look very fine and soft!

Colin Woon said...

Cottony Soft?! Those words just got me drooling. The wonderful photos just made me even hungrier. Good job!

Unknown said...

i tried this but the cup cakes are quite dry. do you keep the egg yolk mixture all the time in the hot water? Mine turned out quite dry after the flour was added into it. is that right? when i fold in the egg white the egg yolk mixture does not mix well.Hence when it was baked, there was bits off egg yolk mixture not smoothly blended in with the egg white. can you tell me what went wrong?

TINTIN said...

Hi Jessie,

I'm sorry to hear that the cupcakes u baked turn out dry. Just mix the egg yolks & sugar on top of a basin of hot water until it's well mixed then set aside. Regarding the dry texture of cake, there are few things u have to take note. Oven temperature, is it too warm? Are measure the ingredients correctly? This recipe I have tried it several times and all the time I get the cottony texture cake. Pls try again. When mixing egg yolks mixture and egg whites together, mix it slowly and let them bind thoroughly...slowly. Try again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin