Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sambal Petai & Prawn

母亲节快乐!HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Sambal Prawn & Petai 1

Ya, today is Mother's Day and I cook this "Sambal" to go with the Coconut Rice - "Nasi Lemak" not forget the fried ikan bilis and hard boiled eggs. Mother's Day but I'm not feeling well today - I got very bad flu...arhh!! I don't have appetite to eat and I'm feeling sleepy all the time. By the way, I would like to wish all the mothers around the world a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY - you are the GREATEST!!!

Sambal Prawn & Petai 2

What We Need :

500 g Medium Size Prawn (shelled & de-vein, I keep the tail for easier eating)
200 g Petai
2 Onion
(cut into big chunks)
240 g Shallot (skinned)
180 g Red Chili
5 g (about 10) Dried Chili (soaked in water to softened it and seeded, add more if you like it spicy)
15 g Fresh Tumeric
2 tbsp Belacan Powder
2 tbsp Dried Shirmp (soaked in water to softened and wash)
3 - 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
20 g Tamarind Paste
(mix with one cup of warm water)
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
(optional)

Method :

Blend the red chili, dried chili, shallots, tumeric, belacan powder and dried shrimp together.
Heat up wok with the cooking oil, when the wok are warm add in onions and blended mixture. Stir-fried in medium high heat for 7 - 8 minutes until the onion turn soft and the "sambal" is fragrant, it will be a bit dry at this time.
Stir in the prawns and the tamarind juice (if you want more sauce, add in a little bit more water) continue to cook until the prawn are almost done (about 3 -4 minutes depend on the prawn size)
Lastly add in petai and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Season with salt and sugar to taste. Serve warm with rice.

Notes :

When we are eating petai, get some egg plant as well, it will help to reduce or remove the strong smell of our urine. If you found it hard to find this petai at the place you stay, you can just omit it and cook the Sambal Prawn alone with the recipe above, it's delicious !!

Serve 8

6 comments:

Colin Woon said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! Though it's already Monday in Malaysia, it's still Sunday here in Houston.

Your sambal petail & prawn looks awesome, a dish my wife will really appreciate! I'm not a petai fan, sad to say.

Get well soon! Take care!

Reanaclaire said...

AMY, U R INDEED A SUPERCOOK MAMA!! I LOVE U... TO STAY WITH ME... HAHAHAA... OR EVEN BE MY NEIGHBOUR, I WILL BE VERY HONOURED!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Wah, it look so tempting to me, this is my all time favorite dish, and the petai actually good for our kidney. Again this is really yummy yummy.

Charlotte said...

You sure know how to make a person hungry.

24yomummy said...

I'm really happy to bump into your website. This is the first website, I've seen when I googled "how to make sambal petai".

I'm currently pregnant and crave for sambal petai so your entry definitely help me to make the meal on my own. Thanks for sharing.

*hugs*

Mabeline said...

if we omit the tamarind paste, will the taste change?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin