Monday, November 29, 2010

Chicken Congee

Chicken Congee1

Congee or Rice Porridge is boiled in more amount of water for a longer period until the rice breaks down and becomes a fairly thick white porridge. Some people will served congee as breakfast and is often eaten with fried bread sticks known as youtiao. Congee are served to the unwell as it is easier to digest and are one of the nutritious food for young infants.

Today, I'm going to share my Chicken Congee recipe here. My girl has been complained to me her toothache and not able to eat rice. She request me to cook her congee instead and she finished 5 bowls (*the bowl that I use in my pic) of congee just for her lunch. " Mommy, your congee are yummy!!!", I'm glad that she loves it so much. I seldom cook congee because I don't really love congee. I will only cook congee when I'm not feeling well (*touch wood!!!) hehe ... Anyway, for congee lovers out there .. do give it a try !! It's easy to prepare and very yummy :)

Chicken Congee2

Ingredients :

2 cup rice
water for cooking congee 3 liter (more or less)
1 piece chicken breast
Average amount of chicken bones - for stock
5 - 6 dried scallops
1 carrot - sliced into smaller piece
1 tbsp "dong cai" - 东菜
small piece of ginger - smashed


Seasoning :

sesame oil
light soy sauce
some dark soy sauce - for color
pepper
***(adjust the seasoning to taste)

some green onion for garnishing


  • Wash & clean the chicken bones from fat & chicken blood.
  • When the water boiling add in the chicken breast & chicken bones for chicken stock (approx: 15-20mins)
  • Remove the cooked chicken breast & chicken bones from the stock.
  • Wash the rice & add into the chicken stock. Add in sliced carrots, scallops, "dong cai" & smashed ginger.
  • Increased the heat & bring the congee to boil (approx: 30mins)
  • When the congee starts to thicken. Lower the heat & continue cook till all the rice breaks & turn soft (*time depend on the congee texture preferred)
  • Season the congee to taste.
  • Serve warm with shredded chicken meat floss (*from the cooked chicken breast) & some green onions.

HAPPY COOKING ! :)

AMY

6 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

With added scallops , no wonder your daughter asked for more, sound so delicious.

j3ss kitch3n said...

yummylicious! even i can't resist!

Reanaclaire said...

wow..i love scallops!! the porridge must be very sweet...

emy said...

My hubby loves such congee too but my mom thinks this is baby food :)

Food For Tots said...

Scallops in chicken congee? Wow! What a luxury dish! Not only your daughter, I can finish 6 bowls too.

24yomummy said...

hehe, thanks for sharing Amy. May I clarify, what is dong cai ya? I tried to google 'dong cai' and I saw many pictures..

Is dong cai > salted cabbage?

http://www.google.com.my/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hsaba.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/pickledcabbage.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hsaba.com/ingredients/a-f/cabbage-preserved&usg=__iBuSXTQtTVVTNZFA064u_6l7ubc=&h=270&w=420&sz=40&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=5_uqfQ1nB0xGrM:&tbnh=157&tbnw=190&ei=DxP_TZt1zOGsB_rUpOQP&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddong%2Bcai%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1536%26bih%3D810%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=447&vpy=264&dur=25&hovh=180&hovw=279&tx=197&ty=152&page=1&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0&biw=1536&bih=810

thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin