Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Simmered Pork Belly in Dark Soy-Sauce with Boiled Eggs (Non Halal)

Tauyubak1

I grown up eating "Tau Yu Bak" - this is how we call this dishes in "Hokkien" dialect.  My late granny from my father's side used to cook this for us (my bro & me) when we are young.  Normally this dish are cook in bigger portion.  My granny love to add hard boiled eggs in the thicken "Tau Yu" (dark soy sauce) for us.  The left over of this dish will be keep refrigerated and to be consumed again the next day. This dish taste even better when kept over-night and it is yummy when eaten with sambal belacan.  Today, this dish are my kid's favorite.  They love the hard-boiled eggs in it and each time when I cook it, I will add more eggs for them.  I omit the chinese mushroom in this recipe as my kids they don't like it.

Tauyubak2


Ingredients:


500gm pork belly with skin (cut into pieces)
15gm chinese mushrooms (soaked, cleaned - squeeze till it is dry)
2 nos star anise - 八角
4 garlic cloves with skin (flatten)
1 liter water


Seasoning:

1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp "Shaoxing" cooking wine
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar


dash of pepper
salt to taste

6 hard-boiled eggs


Method:
  • Marinade the pork belly pieces with the seasoning for at least 30mins.
  • Heat up 3 tbsp oil, fragrant garlic cloves until golden in color.  Add in star anises, stir-fry briskly until aromatic.
  • Add in the marinade pork belly pieces, stir well until the color of the pork changes.  Add in mushrooms pieces and water, bring it to boil.
  • Cover up, lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour until the gravy is thicken.  Add in hard-boiled eggs.
  • Season it with some pepper & salt to taste.  Dish up, serve hot.

AMY

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin