Penang Hokkien Mee or "虾面" are one of my favourite hawkers' food. We can easily buy & eat this yummy noodles here at any kopitiam or place that sells hawker food. I didn't cook this often unless there are guest or friends come to visit me at home until one day I chatted with a friend of mine in Facebook who stays in USA. He can't get to eat nice "虾面" there, even those he can get at Malaysian Restaurant there tasted not as nice as the one in Malaysia. I promised to share my recipe here and for those who stays oversea can maybe try this out :)
I followed the recipe from "Penang Nyonya A-Ma Secret Recipes" by Chef Plilip Yoong and edit it to suit my taste buds...
1.5kg medium size prawns (washed before we removed it's shell, keep it for soup)
3tbsp oil or lesser
2tbsp chopped garlic
2tbsp chopped shallot
300g pork's bone
300g pork ribs
1/2tbsp peppercorns (crushed)
(B) - pounded/blend together
25g dried chillies (soaked for 10mins, use less if you can't take it too spicy)
150g shallots (removed skin)
some salt to taste
30g rock sugar
some salt to taste
600g yellow mee
200g mee hoon
300g bean sprouts
some fried shallots
3 hard boiled eggs (shelled and cut into wedges)
Chilli Sauce For Serving (mixed)
150g chilli boh
75g minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp white rice vinegar
50ml boiling water
- Prepare the soup: Heat up 3 tbsp oil in a work, saute chopped garlic and shallot until fragrant. Add prawn shell and continue to fry at low heat until it's dry and aromatic. Pour in water, add in ingredients A and bring to boil. Simmer at medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Heat up 3 tbsp oil, saute pounded B until it's fragrant. Add some salt to taste. Leave about 1 tbsp chilli paste in the wok, transfer the rest into boiling soup. Simmer the soup for another 20 minutes. Strain the soup to another pot. Add in seasoning and taste it.
- Stir-fry the prawns in chilli paste until cooked. Dish up and set aside.
- Blanch yellow mee, mee hoon, bean sprouts, kangkung in boiling water seperately.
- To assembling the "虾面": Put some mee, meehoon, bean sprouts and kangkung into a serving bowl. Arrange ribs, prawns, eggs on top. Pour boiling soup over and sprinkle with fried shallots. Serve with chilli sauce.
Wish all of you have a nice day!!
Looks so yummy!!! I want I want to eat! May I?
Next time cook again remember bring some for me ya :p
Post a Comment