Monday, April 20, 2009

(Non-Halal) Stir-Fried Bitter Gourd With Roasted Pork

Bitte

Bitter gourd or bitter melon (translated from Chinese: 苦瓜; pinyin: kǔguā) are one of my favourite. Today, I'm going to share a simple and easy recipe of this stir-fried bitter gourd with all of you. One of my favourite recipe!!

Stir-Fried Bitter Gourd and Roasted Pork2

For those who loves Bitter Gourd, I bet you'll love this dishes for sure☻

Ingredients:

1 large bitter gourd (slice in 1/2cm thick)
300 g roasted pork (slice into bite size)
1-2 tbsp spicy bean paste (it depends to the saltiness of the bean paste)
8-10 cloves garlic (smashed, you can chopped it-I like to have a bite on it!)
sugar (to taste)
oil (for stir-frying)
1/2 cup water

What to do:

Cut the bitter gourd into half, use spoon to remove the seed. Slice into 1/2cm thick.

Place the sliced bitter gourd into a bowl and sprinkle some salt on it, make sure all the bitter gourd are well coated with salt. Left it for 15-30mins (this is to reduce to bitterness of the bitter gourd) before raise it with water.

Heat some oil in the work and stir in the smashed whole garlic until slightly brown and fragrant. Dish up and set aside. Stir in the roast pork with the remaining oil for few minutes. Add the spicy bean paste and sugar. Continue to cooking till it's fragrant and a little bit dry (lower the fire at this time)

Add in the bitter gourd and continue stir-fried it for 2-3 minutes, let the bitter gourd all coated with bean paste and cook till it's fragrant. Pour in water, add in the fried garlic and cover the wok. Let it simmer in low fire for 5-10 mins (it depends, if you like the bitter gourd softer, it'll take longer time)

Taste the dish and adjust the taste by adding some salt and sugar to taste before you switch off fire.

Serve hot with rice.

Notes:

You can always replace the spicy bean paste with the non-spicy one if you don't like it spicy. For those who love spicy, you can always add some fresh chili slices in it. Add less bean paste first, some bean paste might taste salty and adjust the taste later after we cook the dishes. I buy the roasted pork from market. Just in case you can't get the roasted pork at your place, you can always replace it with pork belly meat. It taste just nice!


HAPPY COOKING!

10 comments:

Colin Woon said...

I love bitter gourd! With roasted pork?! I love even more!

Jesse Tan said...

yummy! I will try it out. I also like bittergourd and roast pork. What a good match!

ChichaJo said...

I am still trying to acquire a taste for bitter gourd (we call it ampalaya over here) but my husband loves it! So many thanks for sharing this recipe!

Reanaclaire said...

yummmmmm... i havent tried that before..nowadays roasted pork are not cheap..
but seeing yr kaya, i think i will try cooking it.i love to eat that too but unfortunately, i havent come across kaya outside that i love to buy..

Dragon said...

I bet your kitchen smelled amazing cooking this.

Josephine said...

i love bitter gourd!!!
I normally make bittergourd soup with chicken meat balls

TINTIN said...

Thank you for all the comments and
I'll be back soon.

Alexander said...

Wow... This looks so good. :P
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hi I happened to surf by, hope you didn't mind that I commented here.

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Charlotte said...

I confess that I have never tried bitter gourd. I will have to try it.

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Colin Woon , you come here to eat for free everyday huh ? LOL.... Amy , your cooking make us all drooling and longing for more

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin